Sunday, July 18, 2010

When life hands you lemons...

I'm doing it! I'm writing my first blog ever! Some of you...ok, the only one of you who will probably read this (Katie), will be proud of me! So here I go...

Now since I am getting married in exactly 82 days, you'd think that my first blog would, of course, be about my excitement, my planning, my stress levels, my cake, or something else of the wedding nature. And believe me, I am more excited than I could even put into words right now...but that is not what weighs the most heavily on my mind at this moment, so I will defer those thoughts until later.

I've been thinking about the saying, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." I have decided lately that I do not like this saying. I think it sucks. I don't like lemons. I don't want lemons. When life gives me lemons, I would like to have the option to say, politely of course, I don't want your stupid lemons, give me something better. Something that's not sour and hard to swallow, that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and makes my eyes water. Instead I would like...otter pops...or something of the sort.

Why all this talk about lemons? Well you see...I am starting to feel overwhelmed by all the lemons everyone seems to be getting handed right now. I feel like I am being surrounded by cancer, sickness, and death. My heart breaks every time I hear a new diagnosis for a dear friend or the latest updates on a precious family member. Granted, suffering is a part of life. We are refined through suffering and perseverance. I am well aware of that. But does that mean I have to be happy about it? I don't think so.

Anyway, so since my Mimi and my Pops have been handed a giant lemon, I am on my way to see them in three weeks and do what I can to help out. It feels strange to leave in the middle of my wedding planning and so close to my wedding day, but I know it's the right thing to do. So if some things at my wedding are a little bit funky or nonexistent...don't judge me!

Now on a brighter note, since I promise I am not all doom and gloom right now, my invitations are almost all completely printed! Only a few minor setbacks involving me smearing about fifteen of them while pulling them off the printer, but not a big deal! Have a dress fitting on Friday so I can get another box of invitations from Michael's. Which, p.s., has climbed steadily on my fave store list and is now pretty close to the top! I could spend the fortune I don't have in Michael's. I'd buy things that I would probably never use, like canvases. Every time I walk by the canvas aisle I think I should buy some. I don't know why because I have never really painted and I don't even own paint. Something about that store though...makes me think I could reach my full artistic potential...or something. Ha!

I feel like I need to say bye or something...is that weird? So...peace out!

2 comments:

  1. Alli I am a blog stalker, I found you! Haha jk, facebook helped. Anyway, I am sorry for whatever your parents are going through, I hope all is well girl! And... I LOVE Michaels, pretty much the best store ev!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks misty! and yes...Michaels is the greatest store on the face of this earth!

    ReplyDelete